ENCORE ministry at The Harbour is geared to adults of any age who have seasoned skills, abilities and time they are willing to share with others. ‘ENCORE’ means ‘once again or repeat performance’ and we believe many adults at The Harbour are able to give an ‘encore’ performance.
In our church and community many individuals, groups and ministries need assistance at various times in their lives or at certain times of the year. We believe we can help by coming close to their side or next to them and working together. This has been the premise underlying all that we do in this ministry and in 2016 ENCORE celebrated five years of ministry at The Harbour.
To strengthen, encourage, mentor and provide practical assistance as we come alongside the existing ministries at The Harbour and within our community.
To use our life skills, experience, spiritual maturity, and love for the church and community while promoting intergenerational relationships.
ENCORE’s guiding principles focus on three elements:
1. To instill a perspective that promotes service to others.
2. To develop a place where adults can invest time and energy to mentor and encourage a younger generation.
3. To provide safe, comfortable fellowship and fun to enhance our lives.
ENCORE oversees and helps to provide and organize opportunities in these general areas:
Works …Active ministry in many church areas while using our skills, abilities and interests.
Helps …Practical ministries such as mission work, helping seniors and people in need.
Play…Social opportunities for fun and fellowship while building relationships among all generations.
WORKS & HELPS – possible opportunities
1. Assist with setup/cleanup for regular programs operating during the week.– MOPS, Men’s Ministry, OASIS, special events, weddings and funerals
2. Assist with church maintenance, repairs and new small projects.
3. Assist with outdoor recreation rink during the winter months providing help where needed.
4. Missions – work on local and overseas projects, fundraising, participate on trips
5. Helping Seniors or those needing assistance, house maintenance and repairs (small jobs)possibly small car repairs, drivers for appointments, grocery shopping, errands, church services, light housekeeping or gardening in summer
6. Visit seniors in nursing homes or those homebound by providing Christmas carolling, small gifts/cards, support when needed.
7. Helping with Kids In The Park and other church evangelic outreaches to our town by helping with setup, cleanup, providing snacks, preparing materials, prayer support, mother’s oasis, crafts, wrap-up BBQ
Some Examples of Previous Social Events
Tacky Sweater Christmas Party
Fall tour to Pennsylvania to Sight and Sound Theatre
Harbour ‘Corn Roast in the Country’
International Potluck Dinner with international cuisine and traditional costumes
Christmas carolling at Retirement Homes
The Class of ’75 Reunion …murder mystery dinner and evening
Bowling Night with Snacks
For more information please contact the office at The Harbour at 519-396-7044.